Anyway, enough whining. I'm totally showing off today! I decided months ago that I really wanted to learn to sew. I have a sewing machine, but it's only been used by my Mom to make me stuff. So I chose a project (a rag quilt for my little boy), and her and I went shopping to pick fabric. It was WAY easier than I thought it would be!! It was a really easy project, but here is the step by step.
First, I chose 8 different fabrics. I used 1/4 meter of each pattern. I washed and dried each piece before I started. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Then I measured them out and cut 7x7 pieces. I also cut 7x7 pieces of white flannel and stuck them together.
Here is the layout of the pieces:
Then, I stitched an X into each square - the flannel on the bottom and the cotton patterned fabric on the top.
I laid each square out in rows, then sewed them end to end with the edges facing up, so I had 7 squares in a row. Here is a close up of the fabric.
Once I had the 5 rows of 7 squares stitched, I had to sew the rows together. This was a bit tricky, because I didn't know what to do with those edges that were sticking up. I just stitched over them, because this is a "shabby chic" look - it doesn't have to be perfect. So again, I took 2 rows and laid them down flannel side together and sewed a whole row.
So now you have a 2 layer quilt with flannel on the bottom and the squares on the top. The next step is to cut out a piece of white cotton that is the exact size of the quilt. I used a crisp white cotton sheeting fabric. Then, I pinned the white cotton to the quilt, and sewed the edges all the way around about 1/4" in from the edge.
All the corners were stitched down, so I took scissors and snipped them all so they stood up. I washed and dried it so it would soften the edges, and VOILA!!! As soon as it was done, I handed it to my little guy and he took and said "bebe" (his word for blanket) and dragged it across the room with him. Success!!
If you want to start sewing, this project is perfect because it's easy and doesn't have to be perfect. It's also a very quick project to do. It took me in total maybe 6 hours.